Friday, November 1, 2013

Jesse Tree ornament swap complete! Felt Jesse Tree ornament picture tutorial. Can be adapted.

Yesterday was a busy day, we swim every Thursday and we had little errands too. But we stayed at the pool for extra long! The kids were wiped when we got home- almost too tired to trick or treat. But the most important thing was that I got the felt ornaments out in the mail. I ended making three sets, two were originally mine to trade up but with my niece's emergency heart surgery, I made my sister's set as well- the hand print lilies using my 2 oldest children's hands. Hopefully she will like them in and I didn't embarass the poor girl- as if she needs an ugly felt hand print flower this week made in her name ;) (She only saw a picture via text).
  We are in a Jesse Tree ornament swap on Karen's Jesse Tree ornament swap. She is going to be one busy lady in the next two or three weeks!  Thank you Karen for taking the time to do that!






© 2013 Homeschooling Papist
Yes, both of my kids actually stitched around the edges for me. Amazing what these little kids can do if you allow them to help! I think they each ended up doing around 5 each.


You need embroidary floss and an embroidary needle. Different matching colors to go with your felt sheets (in craft section with all these other supplies), I think they are $.23 a sheet a Walmart, or just use material you have at home. The double sided fabric tape (I bought one roll for around $2.50 at Walmart in the craft section and that picture is what is left after all the ornaments I have done- quite a bit, a little bit goes a long ways.) The round embroidery canvas sheets were 10 for $.99.
© 2013 Homeschooling Papist

First trace your shape onto some felt.
© 2013 Homeschooling Papist


cut out lots and lots of them ;)

© 2013 Homeschooling Papist


Cut out lots of matching felt circles to tape onto the embroidery clear plastic canvas (remember the first picture above?)  The secret to cutting out a bunch of them, is tracing your pattern on one piece of felt. Then safety pin several sheets together with the one felt sheet with the pattern on top. Safety pin it well. Then you can cut out up to 3 or 4 sheets of felt simultaneously. You can't go too thick because the sheets of felt do wiggle. Then tape the doves, or whatever your using onto the felt circles. They will look like this below.

© 2013 Homeschooling Papist

 Now sew around the edges. I skipped every other hole on these circles. You can do whatever you like. This was quick and only took around 3 mins. 
© 2013 Homeschooling Papist

© 2013 Homeschooling Papist

© 2013 Homeschooling Papist


Have you seen these felt lilies before? I have only seem them made with paper. My friend Cheryl makes them every St. Joesph's feast day with her kids, they are making a big bouquet. I have a separate tutorial for these here.

© 2013 Homeschooling Papist

Off to Karen's house!

© 2013 Homeschooling Papist


Ok..enough messing around on the internet... time for me to warm up some dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete attacks on my faith and directed at my family or friends, or for any other reason I feel they are inappropriate. Please keep this blog a respectful and happy place.