Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Laura Berquist's advice vs. State of Kansas

  I had to go and reread how much "in school" time is required by the State of Kansas for non- accredited private schools. This is copied from their website. Note it starts for 1st grade. (7 to 18 years old are the state guidelines on age).

Hours of Instruction
Classes must be held for a period of time which is
substantially equivalent to the time public schools are in
session. The time required for public schools is at least
186 days of not less than 6 hours per day, or 1116 hours
per year for grades 1-11.

  Anyway, I am reading up on 1st grade and Laura Berquist's sample schedule for 1st grade, from Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum. It says "allow for one and a half hours each day for school. This is ample time for formal subjects for young children." And then she has this nice little chart of the days of the week and what subjects you would study.
  I will leave it at that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete attacks on my faith and directed at my family or friends, or for any other reason I feel they are inappropriate. Please keep this blog a respectful and happy place.