Friday, May 30, 2014

The Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Natchitoches, LA

While we were over night in, Natchitoches, LA, this week, we learned that is where Steel Magnolias and Man in the Moon was filmed- neither of which I have seen, but have heard of. But the little old lady who was telling us this info worked at the Hampton Inn we stayed in off I-49. She claimed she had a part in Steel Magnolias- I wasn't sure if it was an acting part or based on her friend. But anyway, she said drive through the town it's quite beautiful and historic. Natchitoches, is the oldest permanent settlement in the Louisiana Purchase.

So we did- and boy were we we excited! It was beautiful like she said, but we ran smack into this beautiful church! The Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception! It was established in 1728! The stations of the cross were so old and hand painted as well as the chandeliers- which I believe were imported from old Europe. Here's some pictures. (That's all the site seeing we did too btw.) There were other old historic churches and a Fort and the Cane River, but we just didn't have the time.
















































See which way the altar is facing?







 Holy water bottles for those who take time to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete attacks on my faith and directed at my family or friends, or for any other reason I feel they are inappropriate. Please keep this blog a respectful and happy place.