Saturday, April 9, 2016

Venerating the Saints

We had the opportunity to attend a Treasures of the Church event here in our town. The group brought 150 relics and they have been on display for public veneration at several parishes all this week. I told my kids what we were going to do, and there would be a talk at the beginning. And they were so darn excited, I was like whew, thankgoodness..sometimes you never know what they might be willing to sit through. The older two listened which I was so grateful for. And once we got to the gym were the relics were displayed, they were the happiest kids to be able to touch and hold the relics and kiss and bless themselves. I have never done this before this is something they just did. Including touching their baby sister. I had only encouraged them to touch their holy cards and rosaries and scapulars. So it was really cool to see the devotion they showed to all the saints. These were just a few of the saints we saw....(we missed maybe 14)


The priest, Fr. Carlos, gave a great talk on St. Maria Goretti and forgiveness. Also he explained what keeps us from truly opening ourselves to God's mercy. He called them "the four handcuffs we put on God."


What do ya know? Blessed Pier Giorgio was first up!
Pray for us!


St. Monica, Pray for us! (She was next to St. Augustine)



St. Margaret Mary Alaquoue, Pray for us!


Genna decided to touch her Baptismal card to the relic.


This is St. Longinus, Pray for us! My heart about stopped and I almost fell over when I saw it and called Knox right over.  It's Knox's favorite Saint right now. I have no idea why he is so attached to him. I had read his tomb and relics were overseas somewhere as Knox had asked me to research it one time. He was so excited. Even cooler, was that we saw part of his spear head as well.


The kids even started blessing Zoe with the relics which was so thoughtful, I am not sure what prompted it them to touch her, but it was amazing to see how much they cared.





St. Kateri, Pray for us!



St. Josephine, Pray for us!


St. Therese of Lisieux, Pray for us! (Especially Zoe Therese)


St. John Berchmans, Pray for us! 


St. Martha, Pray for us!


At first she was sleeping I guess?? Then I prayed to St. Catherine Laboure (aka Zoe) and Zoe woke up for the picture.


St. Catherine Laboure Pray for us!


St. Margaret of Scotland, Pray for us!


Genna's middle is Margaret.


St. Anne, Pray for us!  (There was a piece of Mary's veil somewhere, but we missed about two tables- Brenden was starting to melt down.)


St. Patrick, Pray for us!




St. Charbel, Pray for us! There was a recent miracle in Arizona I think with St. Charbel's relics.


not sure what that looks means...lol


St. John Vianney, Pray for us!




St. Longinus' spear head fragment.


Pieces of the True Cross St. Helen brought back. By the way St. Helen's relics were there as well.





Knox kissing the reliquary housing a fragment off the Crown of Thorns. BTW did you read about the thorn that bleeds every year when Good Friday falls on the Feast of the Annunciation, March 25th?


St. Therese's parents- Zellie and Louis Martin. (I wanted to name Zoe Therese, Zellie Therese, but Brad liked Zoe better) Pray for us! Genna wanted her picture taken with the Martin's too. (can you tell she's been out in the Kansas wind today?)



If you are into the saints and you have saint books you read your kids, try and take them to one of these events. The whole way home my kids kept talking about how lucky they were, and thanked me over and over again (how often do I get thanked for something unprompted?? not very often) And the icing was "that was funner than a party." WOW!


All holy men and women in heaven, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete attacks on my faith and directed at my family or friends, or for any other reason I feel they are inappropriate. Please keep this blog a respectful and happy place.