Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Recycled grain sack tote bags

Okay newest coolest thing to me is these grain sacks recycled into tote bags. This is such an easy beginner sewing project, and it can be done in just under an hour. There is no pattern- you really only need your scissors and machine. Oh did I mention the hold water too? They might leak a bit through a seam, but your water from your water bottle will probably mostly stay inside- spilled.


 The best bags for the job are the bags with bird seeds or dry grain products like chicken feed, or rice etc.. I have read horse bags and dog food bags might smell a bit or be sticky or greasy. Not saying it can't be cleaned, but the smell of dog food might linger possibly. I guess you will just have to experiment and find out for yourself what works and what doesn't.

I used my rotary cutter and quilting mat for cutting these bags. You can do just fine with scissors, but a rotary cutter and mat is even better if don't know what your missing- you might want to check them out.

You can square off the bottom of these cute bags like I did.  But because they are so stiff you can just sew them straight across. It's such stiff plastic-ky material, you can just punch it and it stays flat on the bottom. However, squaring them off isn't that much more work.






I used a few different You Tube videos to figure out how to make these. This lady has a two part series of short videos. One video did a better job with the sewing- making as few seams as possible and had nicely constructed straps with no raw edges. The other one had more than one video has well in a series but this is the one with directions on how to square off the bottom of the bag. I didn't care for the strap construction though on that particular video series- I don't like raw edges.



I am going to help Genna and Knox teach some farm kids to make these. We are going to have a 4H club sewing meeting to construct these bags. Since we don't have to fiddle with patterns and picking out material at the store- it's free material really, and straight quick sewing makes a great beginner project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete attacks on my faith and directed at my family or friends, or for any other reason I feel they are inappropriate. Please keep this blog a respectful and happy place.